Monday 6 December 2010

Lomography Lubitel 166B

This is my new camera! 

It's a Lomography Lubitel 166b - Medium format, twin lens reflex camera.
Made in the 1980's in Russia.

I brought this camera to help me learn more about film photography & get to grips with all the manual operation. I already have a standard 35mm film camera, however the benefit of the twin lens is that it allows me to focus the camera & monitor the exposure through the viewfinder throughout the exposure time [SLR camera block out the viewfinder throughout the exposure, because the mirror has to move to expose the film].

I brought this camera from Ebay for £35 Bargain! I did want a more desirable medium format, like a Rolleiflex 2.8, however I do not have those type of funds & this will do fine to get myself familiar. Although the lubitel 166b is considered a 'toy camera' because of its low build quality, it still has the ability to take fantastic pictures! And it still has a cooke triplet lens :) [eliminates most of the optical distortion on the outer edges of the lens]. 

So anyway, I've got my fingers onto some film, loaded it & now I can't wait to try it out tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Zoe
    Let me know how you go on with the Lubitel ...I bought one on ebay too! I've used it once but I found that it was quite hard to wind on the film...I kept taking half image shots! Hope yours is a success Pen :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been ok actually! I've had to find youtube help videos but I know what you mean with the winding on, I've only just got used to it.. you've got to be careful that you get the numbers dead on else you get half shots. I will get onto scanning in the images I've taken :)
    Hope you've got on better with it since!

    ReplyDelete